Monday, April 8, 2013

Do You Pray, Daddy?

Father and son praying
Hand in hand.

Dear Daddy,

Do you pray? You bow your head sometimes when other people do but you don't look like a lot of them when they pray. You never say the words out loud either. Don't you want God to hear you?

Your Son


Dear Son,

Yes, I do pray. I may not look like some of the others but I do pray. In our world today, every person feels the right to express him or herself as an individual in all that they do, including when worshiping and praying. But - just as in many things - people want to be noticed when they do these things. I do not.

The book of Matthew states that we should pray in secret and not outwardly for others to see in chapter six. Corinthians 1 asks how outsiders can say Amen to our prayers if we say them with our spirits. Son, I pray with my heart, my mind, and soul...not my mouth. I give praise and thanks with that.

I am not saying that every person that prays publicly is a hypocrite. There are plenty of places in the Bible where it talks about praying openly. I have life experience though. My experiences have allowed me to draw one sad conclusion: the louder a Christian prays publicly, the more you should watch your back around them.

Ultimately, I want you to pray, be it loud or in secret. I truly want you to talk to your Father in heaven. He has a lot to say. Just remember that if your mouth is moving, your heart generally is not.

Prayerfully yours,

Your Father

No comments:

Post a Comment